According to historical records, the first school in Seven Pines was opened in the 1890s. Seven Pines School was a one-room schoolhouse that stood next to the cemetery. It was enlarged to four rooms in 1916 and then closed in the early 1920s. The school, which is located in the Varina Division, was named for the community of Seven Pines because of seven loblolly pines that stood alongside Williamsburg Road in late May 1862. The seven loblolly pines did not survive the Civil War, but the name lives on. Plans were made in the fall of 1999 to plant six young loblolly pine trees in the cemetery to complement the one loblolly standing there now. The community, which grew in the vicinity of that 1862 battlefield, is known as Seven Pines.